Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[ Sodium 2 Upgrades ]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TJMVoyager, Jun 22, 2011.

1. sam_reynolds01

sam_reynolds01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90 /0
    Wow [MENTION=866]MsLiZaChan[/MENTION], that tip was awesome XD
    1st attempt with out trying a got a new PB.

2. Shaundi

Shaundi Third Street Saints
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +44 /10
    Thanks Liza and Dan for your tips, I still can't get under 55 secs (though my best now is 55:056, roughly half a second off my previous best) on the 1st track though, any tips on when best to use the boosters?

3. MsLiZaChan

MsLiZaChan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    No problem. I've never used the upgraded air brakes again after disabling them the first time. The racer is so much quicker without them. You just need to learn to steer better in the sharp corners.

Also, you'll have to decide for yourself which engine works best for you. The Thor engine (available at level 20 I believe) is the fastest one but its higher weight means that you lose speed in the corners compared to the Titan engine. When I first obtained the Thor, I was disappointed that my times did not improve immediately. With all the curves on the Rocky Speedway course, I was actually faster with the Titan engine. Once you learn to compensate for the higher weight in the corners, the Thor should be the better option but it may not dramatically improve your times at first.

4. MsLiZaChan

MsLiZaChan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    I use the boosters at the starting gate and coming off of the curve before the first big straight-away, around 20-25 seconds or so into the course. You will get a bigger boost if you time the first one exactly as the light turns green. With practice, I've even been able to use the background music sometimes to hit the boost button at a particular time. You just need to hit the correct note, so to speak.

5. TJMVoyager

TJMVoyager Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    I was able to get my times to 00:59:047, but can't get any lower then that. I know where I am making my mistakes, I am making my mistake at the starting curve and the 2nd one right after. I have tried breaks, but cuts my time, I let up on gas samething, so now I am thinking, must keep button pushed all the way through the turns, but I cant seem to hug those corners, I always seem to hit the left or right sides.

I bought only the top DX items, and I am quite happy with the preformance.

6. DanMW

DanMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    As Liza says one boost at the start, if you time it just right you can make 2-3 tenths of a second there alone. I use the 2nd boost coming out of the 2nd corner into the straight on the first track. On the second track I use the second one after the last corner. Feel free to add me if you want to race my ghost (supposing is fast enough) DanMW or DanMW_US

7. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    I'm already chasing your ghost. I actually got to see you up close today which was a refreshing change. I wish I had my recorder on that PS3 I've have recorded the replay!

Awesome times Dan. You're really good.

8. Shaundi

Shaundi Third Street Saints
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +44 /10
    I've pretty much perfected most turns except the same TJMVoyager mentioned, even without boosters those turns seem the most difficult, when I do make one turn I keep messing up on the other... I'll keep on trying for a few more days but if I don't see my time improving at all I think I'll be giving up on Sodium 2 until they update the space/game, it just isn't that fun for me anymore (btw I don't even bother with that 2nd track... though if I remember correctly only 1 on my list is ahead on that track)

9. DanMW

DanMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Thanks Joanna, I've played a lot since closed beta back from around January, with practice all of you will go faster. I personally really enjoy Sodium 2 and am very surprised that is completely free to play, that is so great.

10. MsLiZaChan

MsLiZaChan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    I raced Dan's and Joanna's ghosts for over an hour without accomplishing much besides getting my level up to 31. I came within a tenth of a second of my best time in a few races but couldn't beat it. So there I remain...about a fifth of a second better than Jo with her steadily closing in on me and way behind Dan now, whose times are becoming unbelievably quick.

I really haven't had much time to play lately and it shows. You really need to play often and regularly to pare those times down. I hate to say it but I'm becoming a little bored with the time trials. I was really looking forward to the multiplayer racing but it's still almost impossible to get a 5-star race going.

11. avilesc

avilesc 8Bit Gamer

Ratings:
    +3 /1
    I agree with the boredom. I wish they would unlock the arcade mode already. Hopefully its not like that extra room in the star wars space that never opened.

12. sam_reynolds01

Ratings:
    +90 /0
    agreed, and the worst thing is when you change your racer back to a 1-star for multiplayer, it feels so sloooow.

13. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    agreed, and the worst thing is when you change your racer back to a 1-star for multiplayer, it feels so sloooow.[/QUOTE] agree as well, also I know the tracks that well even in one star ship its an easy win usually.

14. K-rolyne72

K-rolyne72 Active Member

Ratings:
    +2 /0
    hi, i tried to change the braking device and must admit it worked since i'be beaten twice my best time ^^
    need few now to beat Carla and get 1st rank of my list again ^^

15. Pendrake

Pendrake Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    I never played the beta much as I didn't want to spend out on equipment, and so I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question. Which of the components have limited uses? Is it just the boosters?

16. sam_reynolds01

Ratings:
    +90 /0
    yep, just the boosters.

Booo! They've removed the beta sodium 2, I enjoyed racing there and seeing my av in the racer.

17. DanMW

DanMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    To my surprise I managed to slightly improve my time on the 1st track using the Titan engine. So it looks to me that both the Titan and Thor engines are capable of fast times it's just a matter of preference as they offer different handling.

18. MsLiZaChan

MsLiZaChan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    I noticed exactly the same thing. I lowered by time by 1/3 of a second last night using the Thor engine. I noticed that your ghost ship had the Titan in use. I tried switching my engine to the Titan and came close to matching my best time with it. Just depends if you prefer to race with speed or handling capability.

Also, I tried downgrading my racer to 2 stars and played some multiplayer. It wasn't much of a challenge unfortunately. Not to boast but a level 31 driver with a 2-star racer is still significantly better than a relative noob in the same ship. Not entirely surprising, I guess.

19. TJMVoyager

TJMVoyager Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Okay, something isnt right here, as I am looking at the top 10 score board, and I have all DX except air breaks +1 star, I see people are reaching 2200+mph, am I missing something here? Even at top speed with mashed X and boosters I can only reach a top speed of 1500+. How is it some are getting 700-800mph more? I smell something and it isnt good, all I have to say is something dont add up there.

20. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    I think some of those speed records are achieved on the second track where there are longer straight a ways. Personally I haven't been doing any second track racing at the moment given I'm really trying to break into the 52 second bracket. Really hard to do. I've been chasing Liza and Dan for so long.

I need someone to push. Any takers? :baby:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted