Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Validating Purchases, How long does it take you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by C.Birch, Apr 9, 2014.

?
  1. 1 to 3 Min

2.0%
  2. 4 to 7 Min

17.6%
  3. 8 to 11 Min

15.7%
  4. 12 to 15 Min

21.6%
  5. 15+ Min

43.1%
  1. ninjato-666

ninjato-666 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    7 minutes tops. I still think thats too long

2. kwoman32

kwoman32 Head Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +263 /52
    Two items purchased at 8:15am EDT on April 23rd, 2014

Twenty minutes!

• Like Like x 1
    • drake21734

drake21734 Administrator

Ratings:
      +45 /11
      I dozed off this morning it took so long.

• HOPPER_34

HOPPER_34 Senior Birdhound

Ratings:
      +112 /7
      I'm not sure about 'validating purchases' lately, but I seemed to get to the navi quicker when I logged in earlier.....then it took longer than ever for the navi to actually fully load. 6 of one half dozen of another.

• drake21734

drake21734 Administrator

Ratings:
      +45 /11
      To further prove how broken this system truly is. My power went out maybe 2 minutes into veryfying what I bought today. All my items were there when the power came back and I signed back in. So what is it actually doing when it's taking so long? Inquiring minds would like to know.

• gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
      +22 /11
      I had that a few weeks back I was thinking about buying a freebie and disconnecting internet to see if I could get round verifying.

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

• C.Birch

C.Birch Site Owner

Ratings:
      +261 /59
      You don't need to do the Verifying stage, once that part comes up, quit Home and Reload it its much faster.

Verifying is cross checking all your items you have, its a system to stop people hacking Home and adding paid content for free to there accounts, was a good move to have the system 5 years ago, but now peoples item database is so big and it seems to check items one by one it takes forever for some now.

The problem could be fixed by just running a basic sum check on the database, eg: User has 2387 items before store checkout, user adding 3 items, sum should now be 2390, if the totals coming up has 2391 you got a problem.

It should only take a few sec to do that database check, but it seems Sonys check is each item at a time and its got a very bad bottle neck somewhere in the system, be if with the PS3 limits or a processing limit of Homes database servers.

But keeping in mind that Home does the same Verifying check on load up and its no where near as slow as from after store, somethings wrong.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • satuli

satuli Administrator

Ratings:
        +1 /1
        I agree with you CB on the need for a fast check sum thing, but simple item count is way to easy to bypass, just by deleting something you never use and replace it with hacked item.. that said the CRC calculation of binary objects has nearly unlimited number of variations so you never in a 100 000 years would manage to add or replace something and get the correct sum. Also calculating those is really fast, would probs take only a few minutes to go trough all your files of a large hard drive (the number of items we all own together should not take longer than a few seconds max). Also the CRC's could be calculated on a background even when you are not online so only thing to do on a log in or purchase would be comparing the last sums and if they don't match force all content to be verified/downloaded from the server (what happens now every time).

• Agree Agree x 1
        • gabrieln210

Ratings:
          +2 /2
          Not bad guess more things longer u wait

• Mei_Mei_Wu

Mei_Mei_Wu Founder and Director of /^DSA^\
          Valued Member

Ratings:
          +21 /3
          @C.Birch I have done what you said and it works I am so happy :LOL: hello FREEBIES mama Mei Mei is back :ROFLMAO:

• C.Birch

C.Birch Site Owner

Ratings:
          +261 /59
          Just to add to this and to highlight the problem more, right now I'm in a busy Acorn Meadows Park space, just used inspect to buy two items, from clicking the close button on store, to being able to move again in home was only 30 sec.

Why? Because inspect does not run any validating process on buying items, so i ask, why the hell do Sony need to validate every item when you buy from a normal store, if buying from inspect does not need it.

Just remove the validating process and one of the biggest problems on Home will be fixed, not just within Home but it would half the loading time of Home itself also.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • ReccaWolf

ReccaWolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
            +89 /13
            Yes, inspecting is a good way to buy items quicker if someone has something in their possession (as long as it's not a reward).

Mine takes a good 10-15 minutes to validating purchases, but I should take Carla's advice and just quit and reload Home whenever it does that, and hope for a new core Home update that make the purchases go faster after validating.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Adrian

Adrian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
              +26 /5
              My times have gone up from originally 2 mins, now its tending to be 5 to 6 mins :(

Verification:
            Draft saved Draft deleted