Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSN Service Outage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPConway, Apr 21, 2011.

1. phunky~phenom

phunky~phenom I Sing With An Accent

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Sony seems to be helping some developers affected by the PSN outage.

ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164051p1.html

If nothing from information or even account credits are lost (PSN Card users); I can breathe a sigh of relief. But what happens if we do lose some? Compensations are definitely in order.

Boycotting by not buying PSN contents anyone?

2. drake21734

drake21734 Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +45 /11
    I find it highly unlikey they're working around the clock like they say they are too. I also doubt they worked the whole holiday weekend on it. Hope they prove me wrong but I'm loosing alot of faith in them with each passing day.

3. hyperkane

hyperkane mm (©_©) mm

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    I say that one week from today, when PSN comes back online, we hack in and take them down as payback. :p

4. ntn.drake

ntn.drake Weinbah

Ratings:
    +0 /0
  5. strider367

strider367 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Really the hackers are they the only one's to blame here? This hacking into the psn network has been going on for a very long time. I'm sure everyone here has hear a story about this and that. So this was not something new here. But now they take a stand and screw everybody over. Instead of not having a weak network that allows these exploits in the first place. Do you remember why they removed Linux from the system not too long ago. Still they didn't get the message till now.

This whole thing could have and should have been handled in a more responsible matter. Instead they throw the baby out with the bath water. Then they hide and don't say hardly anything during a holiday weekend for Pete's sake. If I didn't hate xbox so much I return to the devil I know. Rather to wait for them to pull some other prissy fit later on...

6. hyperkane

hyperkane mm (©_©) mm

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    PSN Outage news has finally hit the Cable News Networks. At least it has gone beyond just the Gaming Industry news. :p

CNN - "A Sony spokesman in Tokyo, where the company is headquartered, said investigations haven't uncovered whether the intruders gained access to personal information or credit card numbers, according to a report from technology news service IDG. The spokesman reportedly said Sony would contact those affected if investigators discover that info was leaked.

CNN's request for comment was not returned by a Sony spokeswoman."

CNN - Sony mum on details about ongoing PlayStation Network outage - CNN.com

FOXNEWS - Hacker's Bring Down PlayStation Network, May Have Stolen Credit Cards - FoxNews.com

Associated Press offers no news - Sony PlayStation outage stretches into sixth day | Turn to 10

7. drake21734

drake21734 Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +45 /11
    It's just like some of the hacking that has went on in home. Not to name name's but I know for a fact some of the moderators and managers condoned it. It's like closing the barn door after the horses have escaped.

8. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
  9. JPConway

JPConway Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    News Headlines

Add CNBC to the list :vb_banghead:

JPConway

10. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    With so much focus on the PSN being down and what we all think we deserve in return, and how furious we all are that we can't play our games in the decently filled release window that the PSN outage fell during, it seems like we were quick to forget something.
    Xbox Live has been through this before as well, during holiday season no less! For nearly 2 weeks the Xbox Live outage raged on and, well, it seems like us gamers still haven't quite learned our lesson. I guess patience really is a virtue. If you thought a weekend was a long time to get a network rebuilt then perhaps you don't remember when Xbox Live was shut down simply from 'expansion pains'.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Xbox Live down: How quickly we forget - Boston Video Game | Examiner.com Xbox Live down: How quickly we forget - Boston Video Game | Examiner.com

11. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    Sony's PSN Woes: Not Unfamiliar to Gamers | VideoGameWriters.com

According to Chesh, the Sony dev network is a bit lax when it comes to checking details – to be specific, credit card numbers. Modders who were on the dev networks were able to type any card number they liked in to the PS Store and it was not checked. As a result they went a bit mad and downloaded everything they could.
    Chesh says ‘no one’s personal information was accessible via this hack’ which seems logical – all our credit card details are on the public PSN, not the dev network. Chesh also posted the following,
    Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.
    So are modders to blame for the PSN downtime? Possibly. If they are, then the question is why have Sony shut down the entire PSN rather than just the dev network?

12. JPConway

JPConway Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    For me at least - I can say that I really don't remember the xbox incident - since I never really played xbox. Guess the one question that I would ask of those that did go thru it - was xbox/microsoft open about what was going on? Or were they like Sony is now in their way of giving us information?

Also - did xbox do something for their customer base? (okay - that was 2 questions) :whistling1:

JPConway

13. strider367

strider367 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    One thing I have to give xbox live. They had one incident about 5 years ago. No damage done and it never happened again. Hopefully sony learn a lesson here....

14. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
  15. Shaundi

Shaundi Third Street Saints
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +44 /10
    From Garys link "Automated logins may be disabled, which is what a lot of the Distributed Denial of Service attack programs use to strain the servers."

Now if they disable auto log-ins that would then disable auto downloads (1 of the main features of PS+) and while the feature may not seem so important it's a feature that is useful if you have slow download speeds so things can download as you sleep/ do other stuff... rather than going to start a game only to find you have to download an update... which plus members would still have to do if this important feature is disabled.

16. EvilFluffyBunny

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    I'm not reading anymore links that aren't from the official PS blog, because I loathe rumors. Although, I have a feeling we probably won't get the whole story from Sony. Still, it's better than rumors.

17. x__twist__x

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    *stares blankly into space*

18. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    anyone was watching the BBC News channel in the last hour or so hopefully they can verify this, but apparently we can expect a statement from Sony on the PSN outage, including the rumours surrounding customer credit card details, ‘within a couple of hours’.
    According to a poster on GAF, the BBC have been in contact with Sony regarding the issues on a regular basis, and are expecting official word soon. That statement is also expected to include a timescale for resumption of services. According to reports on Twitter, the business news segment has just ran a comprehensive story on the whole thing.
    We’d expect such a statement to arrive on the official blogs first, as all updates have been doing.

19. VampireWicked

VampireWicked No Cry Baby Cockroaches

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Sony ?re-building? PSN security

If you?re anything like us you?ve been refreshing the PlayStation Blog and scouring Twitter every hour or so over the past weekend for information on the now-legendary PlayStation Network outage. Portal 2?s much-antcipated Steam overlay is useless, no one can play SOCOM 4 orMortal Kombat online, and PlayStation Plus members are missing out on days of a service that they?ve paid for.Is there any hope of PSN coming back online soon? Yesterday?s PS Blog post suggests that we might have to hold out a little bit longer. Posts that featured on both regions of the blog stated: ?Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure.?Sounds all kinds of technical. Word on when it?ll be back? Today?s Blog update reads: ?Unfortunately, I don?t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time.? That?s a no, then.Stay strong, PlayStation players.
    http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted