Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Playstation Network And Qriocity Services To Be Available This Week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kwoman32, May 1, 2011.

1. kwoman32

kwoman32 Head Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +263 /52
    This morning, a press conference took place in Tokyo, Japan and the following press release is now being distributed worldwide.

We would also like to once again thank you for your patience.
    SOME PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND QRIOCITY SERVICES TO BE AVAILABLE THIS WEEK
    Phased Global Rollout of Services to Begin Regionally; System Security Enhanced to Provide Greater Protection of Personal Information.

Tokyo, May 1, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International (SNEI, the company) announced they will shortly begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™ services, beginning with gaming, music and video services to be turned on. The company also announced both a series of immediate steps to enhance security across the network and a new customer appreciation program to thank its customers for their patience and loyalty.

Following a criminal cyber-attack on the company’s data-center located in San Diego, California, U.S.A., SNEI quickly turned off the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, engaged multiple expert information security firms over the course of several days and conducted an extensive audit of the system. Since then, the company has implemented a variety of new security measures to provide greater protection of personal information. SNEI and its third-party experts have conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. With these measures in place, SCE and SNEI plan to start a phased rollout by region of the services shortly. The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems

• This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games

• Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers

• Access to account management and password reset

• Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo

• PlayStation®Home

• Friends List

• Chat Functionality

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks

• Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption

• Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns

• Implementation of additional firewalls

The company also expedited an already planned move of the system to a new data center in a different location that has been under construction and development for several months. In addition, PS3 will have a forced system software update that will require all registered PlayStation Network users to change their account passwords before being able to sign into the service. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.

The company is conducting a thorough and on-going investigation and working with law enforcement to track down and prosecute those responsible for the illegal intrusion.

“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation. “Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.

The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.

• Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.

• All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.

• Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.

Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.

SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.

2. Firefly

Firefly Survivor of Sword Arts Online

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    oh great... they are now only going to only allow password changes on the ps3 you created the account.....

though some sort of email authorized change will be allowable

3. strider367

strider367 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Press Release: Some PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services to be Available This Week – PlayStation Blog

Home will be available when PSN is turned back on. When? They said shortly what ever that means?

Fire who cares how you change your password as long as it's back shortly lol...

30 days free of plus I'll take it right Fire lol and everything else. Don't forget the T-shirt you suggested lol...

What? I activated my account in early 2007. That console is long gone...

4. Firefly

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    we will get 30 free days psn plus service

5. Firefly

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    I have more than one ps3, so I'm not sure which ps3 created some accounts. Plus I have alot of accounts. One ps3 is full, so I might have to delete and move around accts.... it's annoying to have to change all my passwords....

6. Fiend009

Fiend009 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Damn. The PS3 I created my account on my system that is YLOD. I hope I can call up customer support and get things fixed that way.

7. strider367

strider367 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Damn Fire your right I'm in the same boat as you....

8. C.Birch

C.Birch Site Owner

Ratings:
    +261 /59
    I hope that's not the first PS3 you signed up on or there be a lot of people going missing that used fake emails, but i think it would mean anyone of the 5 max systems you could activate a id on.

9. Shaundi

Shaundi Third Street Saints
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +44 /10
    I do hope, for the sake of friends as I'm lucky to still own the ps3 I created mine on and will be able to change all my passwords, that they do mean any PS3 on which it was already active before the PSN going down will be able to change passwords (plus if thats the case I won't have to use that ps3 to do so and can just use the PS3 I normally do)

10. Firefly

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    What on earth does HUSHED mean??!

11. GOODY_2_SHOES_23

GOODY_2_SHOES_23 Playstation Home Junkie

Ratings:
    +1 /0
    If I read and understand correctly what was said, "either on the original PS3, OR THRU VALID E-MAIL", meaning you can activate you password change via e-mail even if it's not on the original PS3. I also think, for those who have multi-accounts, that the PSN would gladly assist you in re-connecting if you call the 800 number. Sony is not looking to lose any customers right now. I am so ready and willing to go back to Home.

I can't wait to get together with my friends, see what the level 65 reward is for Aurora, get my Golden Vicky, and all the other things I was working on before the shutdown. I only wonder, is the store going to be available to us, as far as getting the Mansion garage, and Blasters Paradise, and the like?

It may be something that takes a little longer before it's up and running, but I don't care, looking forward to runiing all over Home again, Thank you Sony, PSN, and SNEI. I have and always will support you.:thumbup::yes::bigsmile::clap::taz:

12. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    I've had a yellow light of death machine too. I hope this isn't going to be a problem. Other region accounts will also potentially be an issue. I hope not.

13. strider367

strider367 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Ok this is what I understand. PSN will be up in May, duh I know. Meaning either May 1st or 2nd maybe be as late as the 3rd. When your region has it's help phone lines up. Seems they are anticipating the obvious problems here. Another point is the store will not be up for the time being for any services. So no new stuff for Home or DLC's etc. To be clear that is what is going to happen in Japan( It's already May 1st in Japan whoops now here too). I'm not sure they meant for all regions but most likely yes....

So maybe later today for NA and EU I doubt that. So your looking at start of business May 2nd or most likely at the latest May 3rd...

Last note: As far as the new password. For those who used a bogus or made up e-mail your out of luck. You must be able to sign into the e-mail account of record to be validated. Since it seems a lot of us don't have those original consoles. The e-mail validation should go fine.....

14. RedMoonSheWolf

RedMoonSheWolf *Dream_Big_Think_Bigger*

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    There are some videos on youtube about fixing your ps3, but risky. The ps3 outage was dramatic for the first 3 days then later my focus leaned towards old goals. Now I know life won't be such a routine like finishing my daily duties to soon be succumbed into ps3 privileges. Not saying it won't happen again lol, but i need to take a break every once and a while :D yay!!! another thread :hammer:

15. v_Trillian_v

v_Trillian_v Fun Lover

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    I think a lot of my money and rewards and etc just went down the drain in three of four regions. This may be the end of Home for me. I can't take losing all that. Didn't ever think real emails could be used for other regions and now I'm unsure of the passwords since it was all on automatic. Guess staring blankly at this screen won't help. A lot of money. Lot of stuff. Poof. Numb.

16. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    oh goodness. I'm afraid that is going to be a story we hear a lot of.

17. C.Birch

C.Birch Site Owner

Ratings:
    +261 /59
    People could try the PC store when PSN is backup incase that lets you update password (might be unlikely)
    PlayStation®Store

Lucky for me i used real emails for all id's but i worry for many mates who did not and now have slims and not there old fat systems.

18. Firefly

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    I would be willing to bet that alot of people are in the same predicament. Sony might be willing to reinstate over the phone. Your machine has a MAC id number that is as unique as a fingerprint. It's on record with Sony as having been used by your accounts. That is absolute proof you are the rightful owner.

It is possible that sony may recognize your machine and allow you to change your password.

19. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    Hun is that your original machine where you set-up your accounts? You might just have to change the passwords and not need an email account that is valid. I suspect you probably used a password – if needed – that you might be able to remember. It's possible you might not need to provide the old password.

I just hope for Japan I don't need an email cause the emails would be in japanese and I don't understand Japanese.

20. sam_reynolds01

sam_reynolds01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90 /0
    Whilst I happy about their statement showing they are taking alot of measures to improve security and ensuring to improve it in the long run.
    I'm kind of worried that the hackers that are seeking the same fame as Hotz, are just going to see this as a challenge and psn will becoming targeted more often.

I hope you guys can sort out your alt accounts :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted