Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kratos Returns in God of War: Ascension

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimilicious, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Kimilicious

Kimilicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Kratos Returns in God of War: Ascension, Kimilicious, Apr 19, 2012, 4:26 AM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, god_of_war_ascension_announcement.jpg

Kratos' next murder-filled adventure has been revealed via a listing on Amazon.com. God of War: Ascension is coming to the PlayStation 3, according to the online retailer, with a brief, gameplay-free video offering little more than a blood-soaked teaser that loosely details the follow up to 2010's God of War III.

From what we can gather from the 75 second teaser, God of War: Ascension will tell a tale of Kratos that takes place not after the events of God of War III, but before.

"There was a time before Kratos became the monster known as the Ghost of Sparta," says the teaser's narrator. "A time when something other than rage consumed him. A time when, in spite of the madness that plagued him, Kratos would break his blood oath to an unjust god. A time when he would no longer be bound in blood."

The Ascension teaser features some God of War staples, including a Gorgon, Cerberus and Kratos' chain blades, but little in the way of tangible gameplay details or precisely who is on the anti-hero's hit list this time.

Amazon.com also revealed the game's box art, which matches Sony's previous teaser for an April 19 reveal.

Kratos Returns in God of War: Ascension, Kimilicious, Apr 19, 2012, 4:26 AM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, gow_ascension_boxart.jpg

The product description on Amazon.com reads "Join Kratos as he seeks freedom, redemption, and the clarity to avenge his family in the most ambitious God of War adventure in the series so far." Amazon lists a December 31, 2013 release date for God of War: Ascension, which appears to be placeholder.

Expect more from Sony on God of War: Ascension in the coming weeks.

:censored: YES!

2. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God Of War: Ascension Announcement Trailer

God of War: Ascension has been announced, and it's not God of War 4. The upcoming PS3 exclusive will take place before the events of the first God of War, and we assume, before Chains of Olympus. We don't know much about the game yet, but according to the God of War: Ascension trailer it will take place before Kratos became the Ghost of Sparta. It will take on Kratos' origin story, and fingers crossed, his teen years!

[video]http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58234/god-of-war-ascension-announcement-teaser-trailer/[/video]

3. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Sony Makes God of War: Ascension Official, Lists Spring 2013 Release Date

God of War: Ascension is officially coming to the PlayStation 3, Sony announced this morning. The follow-up to God of War III is currently in development at Sony Santa Monica Studios, led by game director Todd Pappy.

According to Sony's official God of War: Ascension game page, we can expect Kratos' next ultra violent adventure early next year.

"Join Kratos as he seeks freedom, redemption, and the clarity to avenge his family in the most ambitious God of War adventure in the series so far," reads the official game page. God of War: Ascension is also listed as a single-player game, with no cooperative or multiplayer components, contrary to previous rumors. It's also not stereoscopic 3D compatible, apparently. We've inquired with Sony to verify that the game's details are accurate.

On Monday, April 30, Sony will be holding a live streaming event that promises "a glimpse of what’s in store for God of War: Ascension." Game director Todd Pappy will be answering questions via the PlayStation.blog and Facebook, with questions submitted via the @PlayStation Twitter account.

Scant additional details at the PlayStation.blog.

4. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God Of War: Ascension -- What We Know From The Trailer

God of War: Ascension has just announced and all we know is what we learned from the teaser trailer. The trailer lacks cinematics, gamplay, or actual plot points, but hey, we take what we can get. We have plenty of questions about Kratos' next adventure but we've figured some things out too. Here are some of the plot points and features we think God of War: Ascension will have based off of the teaser trailer.

Kratos: The Teen Years
    The next God of War game won't take place after God of War 3 like we suspected. The trailer details GoW: Ascension as a game that focuses on Kratos before his servitude to Aries, meaning this game is a prequel to God of War. He also doesn't have the Chains of Olympus yet, leading me to believe this takes place before Chains of Olympus as well.

The narrator describes a time before Kratos' broke a blood oath, and a time before he was filled with rage. I hope this means we're going to take a look at Kratos' awkward teen years. Before Kratos became the Kratos we all know and love, he was a young kid. He was recruited by the Spartan army, and I assume, went to Spartan High.

The Woman

In the trailer Kratos is seen tenderly caressing a woman's face. Throughout all of the games, Kratos is devastated he accidentally killed his wife and child. This woman in the trailer could be his wife, Lysandra. This makes Kratos: The Teen Years more plausible. Maybe it will focus on how Kratos and Lysandra met, perhaps at prom. Then again, that woman could just me some chick. Kratos does have a soft spot for threesomes.

The Ascension
    Thanks to the game's subtitle: Ascension, we know Kratos will be rising. Since this is a prequel, we can assume Kratos will be rising the ranks from a child chosen to become a Spartan, to actually leading the Spartan army. The biggest question here, is what will Kratos be fighting with. Can a giant sword replace the chains? Obviously we still have a ton of questions, like what will Kratos look like without ashes? Who will he fight? I have so many! Sony should be announcing more details soon. We'll keep you posted! Until then, was there anything from this trailer we missed? Tell us in the comment section.

5. Caspearious

Caspearious SC4RY LURK3R D00D

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    How is this game going to be even more ambitious adventure then what he did in GoW3 if this isn't a true sequel to GoW3?!? Lol... I wonder why they aren't bothering with 3D for this GoW? :/

6. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    From What It Seems, Its A Prequel To God Of War 1 ? No Idea

LoL I Hope Its Going To Be Brutal Like God Of War 3 :p .. Remember One Of The God's End .. :hehe: .. Hopefully Its Crazy Like That :eek:

I Saw A Cerberus And Medusa In The Trailer :shifty:

LoL .. No Idea About 3d :/

April 30th, They Will Supposedly Show A Better Trailer Or Something Of The New God Of War .. :crossi:

7. Heavyn

Heavyn ~The big and the bad~
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +33 /4
    Goshdamnit Kratos this better be the last game I'm going to buy of you :right: :left: I'll be buying it though.

Sidenote: wouldn't it be awesome if it was a Heavenly sword return I would have lost my :shit:

8. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    I Would Love A Heavenly Sword 2 .. Nariko Was Awesome ;D

As For Future God Of Wars .. I Can Only Seeing Them Filling In Gaps Between God Of War 1-3, Ghost Of Sparta And Chains Of Olympus Because Of God Of War 3's Ending <- Intentionally Whited Out To Hide Spoiler :)

9. Heavyn

Heavyn ~The big and the bad~
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +33 /4
    I would have loved a heavenly swords 2 though please don't star her sister or maybe it could be Nariko in the afterlife fighting her way back to Earth because she is needed or something. :D

10. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    LoL Kai :right: .. I Was Like What Is Her Purpose Aside From Being Nariko's Sister And Attracting The Enemies

There Were Rumors Of HS2 In The Works Back In 2008, I Do Not Know If They Cancelled It Or Whatnot :( .. If They Did Cancel It, Maybe Another Company Might Pick It Up .. May Not Be The Original Nariko We All Loved But Something Similar :/

Just The Thought Of HS2 Sounds Awesome .. LoL ;D

11. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God of War: Ascension Multiplayer First Details Revealed

We recently previewed God of War: Acension,and got an inside look at the game's multiplayer. That's right: Multiplayer. The game will ship with five to seven multiplayer maps and a number of different modes. The one we checked out is "Team Execution" and is basically a horde mode, with a God of War twist. We detailed it in our God of War: Ascension multiplayer preview.

Bringing multiple people into Kratos' singular world involved a complete overhaul of the combat system. Here's how Rob Manuel described the changes:

"Combat took elements of what we knew of the series as well as some new twists. Rolling away from blows while delivering deadly strikes seemed straight out of the pages of Kratos. Instead of your Blades of Chaos, chains leap from your hands to pull any wayward body closer to you for a couple of quick slashes. And instead of the button above the head to signify a quick death, a light halo forms around their head as their character animation bends to their knee. Their lives went in a terrible scream and a stream of blood as their lifeless bodies hit the floor."

Check out the rest of our God of War: Ascension multiplayer preview.

12. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God of War: Ascension Multiplayer Preview Video

We wanted to get all the details on God of War: Ascension's multiplayer for you, so we not only posted a detailed God of War: Ascension multiplayer preview, we also went right to the source. We spoke to Sony senior producer Whitney Wade, lead game designer Mark Simon, and lead combat designer Jason McDonald to get the inside story on God of War: Ascension's multiplayer.

The mode they showed off is called Team Execution, and is basically a horde mode with a god-killng twist.
    "Everything you do is getting glory for the gods, Sacrificing things for the gods," explains McDonald. "The ultimate sacrifice is that giant cyclops you see in the arena."

Check it out in the video below:

[video]http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58340/god-of-war-ascension-multiplayer-gameplay-preview/[/video]

13. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    There's gore galore in this gameplay demo of God of War: Ascension. Watch Kratos shed some blood at Sony's E3 2012 press conference.

[video=youtube_share;j1QOCbAoRts]http://youtu.be/j1QOCbAoRts[/video]

14. VampireWicked

VampireWicked No Cry Baby Cockroaches

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    GodOfWar Ascension........WHAT THE SMURF!?
    Why didn't the just make this GodOfWar 3.5
    How is Kratos any different from previous titles?
    Slight skin color difference & a little more skinny.
    This is before the 1st GodOfWar so why does he have better standard moves then GodOfWar 3, these are abilities GodOfWar 3 should've had.
    I was expecting a fighting style reflecting that of a spartan that was a mortal. Normal weapons & maybe a slightly about average show of strength, more human enemies, less influence with Gods & beasts & less showing of super extraordinary battles.
    The entire thing at this point looks like a poor reason to add multiplayer when it was to late with GodOfWar 3.
    I wanted Kratos as a true mortal man with athena whispering in his ear, not a 10% weaken version hercules.​

15. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    LoL Vampy .. Its Going All Over The Place .. Lara Croft, Dante, NFS Getting BP Crashing Cinematic, And Now Kratos Venturing Back To The Past

I Did Love God Of War 3 .. That Was Brutal On Titan Mode .. LoL

16. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Kratos is back and bashing better than ever in this campaign gameplay from God of War: Ascension--debuted at E3 2012 during the Sony Press Conference!

[video=youtube_share;TsVfIGciIdg]http://youtu.be/TsVfIGciIdg[/video]

17. VampireWicked

VampireWicked No Cry Baby Cockroaches

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Actually I didn't like any of the BurnOut titles because of the crashing.
    Why would wanna have the camera yanked away while i'm driving just to watch a crash.
    It was ridiculous to me, just make it a TwistedMetal title instead. That's what TwistedMetal could use, BurnOut's crash system.

Anyway if you get it Kimpossible i'll get it to so i can play with you......& play the game to LOL.
    purrrrrrr​

18. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    E3 2012: The Confusing (Yet Impressive) Multiplayer of God of War: Ascension

I’m not a big fan of God of War. The trilogy on PlayStation 2 and 3 play well and look beautiful, but I’ve always found Kratos to be a shallow and at times outright obnoxious character. He’s predictable and, at this point, completely boring. But I can’t deny that there’s something to his games: my Platinum Trophy in God of War II proves that the series has what it takes to keep me engaged even if its protagonist doesn’t.

As I sat down to play Ascension’s multiplayer mode, those personal truths remained at the forefront of my mind. Remove Kratos from God of War and it isn’t very God of War at all. Yet, it’s exactly what I needed to truly enjoy what I played, a fierce online melee without the trite screaming and over-the-top antics that, for me, bring God of War down. I didn’t expect to like God of War’s first foray into multiplayer – and I still think it’s entirely unnecessary and something few fans of the franchise were actually asking for – but the truth is there’s plenty of fun to be extracted here.

The mode I got to play was called Favor the Gods, a team deathmatch-type setup that pits two squads against one another in gruesome combat. Veterans of the series will find a relatively familiar control scheme, even if the faces around you (and your own character) are anything but. Standard attacks are mapped to square, with strong attacks mapped to triangle. R2 allows the use of spells and L1 lets you block. Combat didn’t feel quite as fluid and smooth as it did in God of War games past, but I chalk that up more to the unexpected speed of multiplayer and my lack of skill compared to those I was playing with than anything else.

But there’s a lot more to God of War: Ascension’s multiplayer mode than meets the eye, and that’s where things started to get a little hairy. Fact is, Favor the Gods throws players into a deep and complicated battle system with the façade of something familiar, but coupled with something decidedly less button-mashy than you may expect. And in Favor the Gods, it all begins with the many options surrounding you, and how many different ways you can approach and achieve your goal.

Favor the Gods revolves around earning points. The particular setup of my game was 4-on-4 action that took place all over a desert-themed map. The time was set to eight minutes and the point threshold was pegged at 5,000. The first team to hit 5,000 points or the team with the highest point total at the end of the allotted time wins it all. But the points system proves subtle, with many different ways to achieve your goal outside of combat.

It’s at this point that God of War: Ascension became a bit confusing and overwhelming for me. Like so many frantic multiplayer games that came before it, Ascension will undoubtedly require patience, practice and study. I got my ass kicked over and over again as I listened to my Sony-employed guide explain everything I needed to know. There are new moves that Kratos could never employ, weapons to find and equip, a smorgasbord of magic, traps to set and avoid, treasure chests to open and melee and ranged combat alike to partake in. Throw in a battle with a fearsome mythological creature like a Polyphemus at the end of each match – which results in huge hordes of points to the team that scores the kill – and you’ll find all sorts of permutations to reach your designated point total.

With all of these options, earning points quickly turns into what you do best, which may not necessarily be fighting. For instance, when red-colored treasure chests are cracked open, 100 points get added to your total. Run around incognito-like and loot treasure chests and you can very easily add to your team’s total without ever raising your blade. Likewise, setting traps so that they only injure the other team can earn you points with very little effort. Beating the life out of your opponents with all matter of primary and secondary weapons will of course be the most straight-forward way to climb towards your threshold. But there’s a definite strategy to Ascension’s multiplayer, one that emphasizes teamwork and tactics far more than I ever thought it would.

Sony Santa Monica is currently toiling away on both the single-player and multiplayer portions of the game, and in the multiplayer realm, they’re still planning what the final suite will look like. They’re toying with the idea of having anywhere from four to six modes in the final game with an emphasis on “quality over quantity.” Multiplayer will allow completely upgradeable characters that can be equipped with all matter of gear, and allegiances to specific gods will direct the course of growth your character takes.

Add these online modes to the Kratos-centric prequel story told in the single-player campaign, and Ascension might just be the most robust and complete God of War game ever created. One way or the other, we’ll find out when it comes exclusively to PlayStation 3 in March of 2013.

[video=youtube_share;rsVo8JJmInM]http://youtu.be/rsVo8JJmInM[/video]

19. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition Detailed

If the E3 demo for God of War: Ascension made you thirsty for elephant-man blood, Sony's going for the jugular of your wallet. You can now preorder the $79.99 God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition. Along with the game, the bundle includes a Kratos statue, a steelbook game case, the game's soundtrack, and a "pass for future DLC content."

Kratos Returns in God of War: Ascension, Kimilicious, Jun 14, 2012, 1:27 AM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, GoW3PreOrder-610x885.jpg

20. Kimilicious

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    God of War: Ascension - Multiplayer Trailer

Brutally kill your way to become the ultimate god in the multiplayer mod of God of War: Ascension.

[video=youtube_share;BcYoMC4Ufhs]http://youtu.be/BcYoMC4Ufhs[/video]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted