Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured A Chat With Home's Newest Dev - Juggernaut Games

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kwoman32, Dec 27, 2011.

1. kwoman32

kwoman32 Head Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +263 /52
    A Chat With Home's Newest Dev - Juggernaut Games, kwoman32, Dec 27, 2011, 4:15 PM, YourPSHome.net, png, juggernaut_games_logo.png YPSH : As you know, Juggernaut Games, PlayStation Home's newest developer, has joined our developers here with their own forum. So I am pleased to welcome George Cochrane, Chief Creative Officer and Alec Carper, Chief Technology Officer from Juggernaut Games to YPSH. Thanks for taking the time to be with us today.

JG [George & Alec] : Hi!

YPSH : Let's start with your backgrounds. George, you attended the Art Institute of California. Is that where you first got interested in getting into the gaming industry?

JG [George] : AI:SD is where I got serious about the industry. I'd always wanted to be involved in video games: I wrote text-based games on our sweet Apple IIE when I was younger and modded shareware RPGs in high school. After serving in the Army, I took the first real step toward my goal by earning a Bachelors of Science in Game Art & Design at AI.

YPSH : You worked for Qualcomm as a Graphic Design Intern. Tell us about what you did there.

JG [George] : PowerPoint all day and into the night! Qualcomm was a great experience. I worked in the MediaFlo division on graphic arts. The most important thing I took away was learning about working in a professional creative environment, and I was fortunate to work with extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable producers who were open to sharing everything they'd learned.

YPSH : From February 2010 to April 2011 you went on to work for Heavy Water as a 3D Artist. Tell us about how you came to work for Heavy Water and more about what you did there.

JG [George] : I responded to a request for 3D Artists and after an interview and art test, I dove straight in. As an independent contractor, I started out making furniture items and eventually progressed to project management. Heavy Water was an eye-opening experience. They have some of the most talented and hard-working employees in Home development!

YPSH : Alec, you also worked for Heavy Water as a Lead Programmer. This must be where you and George met?

JG [George] : I met Alec through an internet mail-order programmer site. He will deny this.

JG [Alec] : I deny this.

YPSH : J Tell us about how you got into programming, how you came to Heavy Water and what you did there.

JG [Alec] : My father taught me how to code at an early age, and I've been programming professionally for 6 years now. I worked as an independent contractor for Heavy Water after meeting Matt and Tammy McDonald (CCO/President and CEO of Heavy Water, respectively) at a party. While I was there I worked on scene scripting and minigame programming.

YPSH : So you both decided to start your own company in April called Juggernaut Games. Where did the name come from and what made you both decide to branch out on your own?

JG [George] : After our contracts with Heavy Water ended, we wanted to keep working together. Applying for Home developer status was a natural next step, and everything else fell into place. Coming up with a name was the hardest part...
    [Alec] : Absolutely the hardest part. George and I work extremely well together, despite him being an artist. We are always coming up with ideas for new content we want to build and now that Juggernaut Games is a Home developer, we can make them a reality.

A Chat With Home's Newest Dev - Juggernaut Games, kwoman32, Dec 27, 2011, 4:15 PM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, 6286631283_712ee9498c_o.jpg YPSH : Your first effort, the Cutteridge Estates Apartment for PS Home has been well received. Where did the idea come from?

JG [George] :
    We'd talked about doing a scary, dark space, something different from the norm. After seeing the idea was being discussed on different forums, we decided to go for it. We released at Halloween but don't envision Cutteridge as “just a holiday space.” We've got some exciting plans.
    [Alec] : We're both Lovercraft fans and wanted to bring something different to Home. Cutteridge incorporated a lot of scripted elements, which is what we'd like to see more of in Home spaces.

YPSH : By now, most of us have discovered the locked room and the "Mouse Room" but can't get in to them. Will we see use of those in future enhancements to Cutteridge?

JG [George] : I've seen some people getting into them! Alec did you put them in there?
    [Alec] : I deny this.
    [George] : Me too. Perhaps we've got a rogue artist on our hands...

A Chat With Home's Newest Dev - Juggernaut Games, kwoman32, Dec 27, 2011, 4:15 PM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, Cutteridge-front.jpg YPSH : What would you say your biggest challenge was in creating Cutteridge?

JG [George] : Keeping Alec's coffee mug full.
    [Alec] : Keeping George's tea mug full.
    [George] : We downplay it, but a lot of blood, sweat of tears went into Cutteridge. We did a lot of it right, some of it wrong, and the team learned a lot about what Home users expect in a space.
    [Alec] : Scripting-wise, we made a great effort to “get it right” the first time by building a solid code base so we can update and expand the space later.

YPSH : Will Juggernaut develop for the mobile market or other platforms besides the PlayStation 3?

JG [George] : I would say we wouldn't rule it out, but we're focused on Home development right now.

YPSH : Any plans for other social media outlets besides PS Home?

JG: [Alec] : Right now we're committed to developing the social platform that is Home because there's incredible potential in Home that's evolved from its original release.

YPSH : Based on the success of Cutteridge, I am assuming we can expect more personal apartments from Juggernaut?

JG [George] : We'd love to work on personal spaces in the future. They're a lot of fun to create.
    [Alec] : Personal spaces are a great opportunity to connect with a user and give them a tailored experience, one they can participate in and customize.

YPSH : What about other items for PS Home, like clothing or furniture?

A Chat With Home's Newest Dev - Juggernaut Games, kwoman32, Dec 27, 2011, 4:15 PM, YourPSHome.net, jpg, YPSH-HolloweenParty2011.jpg JG [George] : Part of the complete Cutteridge release was full body suits, furniture and companions, we had fun working on those as compliments to the space.
    [Alec] : I've been fascinated with Active Items since the tech was first released. The full potential of Actives hasn't yet been realized. Hopefully we can turn that around with some of the stuff we're working on.

YPSH : Alec, we always ask devs what hardware or software limitations they may have run up against when developing for PS Home. Is there still room in the current platform for new innovation in your opinion?

JG [Alec] : There is so much that can be done with the current tool set that we haven't seen developed yet. The Home Tools Team has given developers some amazing tech with the 1.5+ releases. There is so much that we can do now that was simply not possible a year ago.

YPSH : How much time to both of you spend in PS Home on an average? What's your favorite thing about Home?

JG [George] : I'm in Home daily, and we make a point of logging on as team on Thursdays to check out the latest updates. My favorite thing in Home hasn't been released yet, but we're working on it.
    [Alec] : Recently, I'm more of a forum lurker than an active user. Keep posting what you want built and we'll do our best to make it happen!

YPSH : Lastly, if either of you could create the project of your choice for Home, what would it be?

JG [George] : If we told you that, we'd be spoiling what we're working on.
    [Alec] : Nice try YPSH... well played!

YPSH : Thanks again George and Alec for being with us today. We will look forward to seeing you in your forum here as well as seeing what new ideas are coming from Juggernaut.

JG [George] : Cheers!
    [Alec] : Thanks for talking with us!

Don't forget to visit the Juggernaut Games Forum here at YPSH and leave Juggernaut your feedback and questions!
    CLICK HERE

2. Joanna

Joanna Well-Known Member
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +37 /2
    Nice Karen as always. :)

3. stevev363

stevev363 Milkshake Maven XD

Ratings:
    +12 /0
    Great article Karen, These guys have a lot coming to Home in the near future and I'm giddy for their next release. I like the Icebox companion they just released, if anyone was thinking about it it is a fun companion to have. :)

4. sam_reynolds01

sam_reynolds01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90 /0
    good work Karen XD

5. v_Trillian_v

v_Trillian_v Fun Lover

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    It really is great that developers like Juggernaut are willing to talk a bit about themselves and what they do.

Great what-would-your-project-of-choice-be question too Karen. :) Guess we can't learn all their secrets just yet.

When Alec says he finds the Active items fascinating and says they haven't reached their potential, I must say I'm really looking forward to developments in that area. I think Active items need to be quite special if people are going to even put them out, since they take up 22 or so spots by themselves.

BTW Great line by George, "I met Alec through an internet mail-order programmer site." :smile1:

Also, thanks Juggernaut for allowing visitors (in other regions too!) the ability to win an awesome reward like the ghostly Lost Soul!

6. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    Like the idea that cutteridge isnt going to be a Halloween only personal space, because currently it is.

7. J_Meyers78

J_Meyers78 Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    Nice article. Thanks yourplaystationhome and Juggernaut Games. I bought Cutteridge Estate the day it was released. It is still one of my favorite personal spaces of all time. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for reading

I believe with Playstation Home anything is possible

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted